It feels like every time the subject of carbon monoxide poisoning comes up the emphasis is ALWAYS on protecting homes. Since this is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month, Armstrong Plumbing, Air & Electric (formerly Armstrong Mechanical) wants to take this opportunity to talk about CO awareness for your Lubbock, TX business and what you need to do to protect everyone who works for you.
REVIEWING THE BASICS
It is your responsibility to provide employees with the safest work environment possible. That includes protecting them from the silent killer. That’s the name given to carbon monoxide because it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Every fuel-burning device creates CO gas, but for the purposes of this article we will focus on your HVAC system as it is one of the most common causes. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most important HVAC safety tips.
REGULAR MAINTENANCE IS TOP PRIORITY
As long as things are nice and warm inside many people tend to forget about HVAC safety. That’s dangerous because regular maintenance is important to lessen the risk of carbon monoxide leaks. Armstrong features several maintenance plans that can be customized to fit the needs of your business.
CLEANLINESS IS IMPORTANT
Dirty vents and flues can cause carbon monoxide to build up inside a room or building. These devices are designed to make sure dangerous gasses are vented to the outside. That can’t happen efficiently if the vents and flues are dirty or blocked.
HEAT EXCHANGER INSPECTIONS
Cracked heat exchangers on gas furnaces are a leading cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. The scary part is the furnace will continue to operate normally. That’s why the heat exchanger should be closely inspected by an HVAC safety professional during every maintenance visit. If your technician doesn’t perform that inspection, you should look for a new HVAC company immediately.
YOUR BUSINESS’S FUTURE COULD BE AT STAKE
Safety through CO awareness is always the top priority and should be the reason you practice HVAC safety in your Lubbock, TX business. But as a business owner you could also face legal liability if your negligence causes death or injury. So, on top of the personal tragedy resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning, it could also put the future of your business in jeopardy. Don’t take that chance. Call Armstrong today to schedule your next maintenance visit. Together we will work to keep your business safe, just as Armstrong has been doing since 1934.