When water doesn’t run through a drain, it is because debris is clogging your pipes. Remember, all of your pipes in your house are connected; therefore just because the water doesn’t run in the kitchen doesn’t mean the blockage is in the kitchen. The clog could be anywhere. It could be only a few feet down from the sink or it could be outside the house in the sewer system. Here are a few tips to help you with your clogged drain.
First, you must identify the blocked or clogged drain:
- Identify what’s wrong: if the water in your toilet or bath is not draining properly, it is likely a clogged drain.
- Stop using the drain: it may seem obvious, but do not empty any more water into the drain! This only makes it more difficult to resolve.
- Use Safety precautions: do not use harsh chemicals (such as liquid drain cleaner), and wear protective clothing (gloves, goggles, etc.).
How to unblock a drain:
Here is a simple and natural method to clear a slow-draining bathroom or kitchen sink using ordinary vinegar and a plunger:
- Pour about 1/4 cup of baking soda followed by 1/4 cup of white vinegar down the drain and let it stand for about 20 minutes. The foaming action will help clear the pipes.
- Flush the drain with hot water. Freshly boiled water works best.
- Use a plunger to agitate the clogged material. It may be necessary to block the sink overflow to help create suction.
- Flush the drain again with hot water.
- Allow water to drain.
- Repeat the steps until the drain becomes clear.
It Might Be Time to Call a Plumber at Armstrong
Unclogging a drain can be a DIY project if caught early, but if you have a persistent problem, it may require a snake or an auger. A plumbing snake, normally known as an auger is a bendable cable with a coiled spring on the tip. This strong bendable wire is attached to a handle which spins clockwise. The wire is put into the blocked drain while turning the handle in a clockwise manner. Sometimes a plumber may be required to help with this process. Then it’s time to give Armstrong a call.
Look for a Reputable Plumbing Company that Offers Complete Drain & Sewer Cleaning Services
These services should include:
- Same day drain and sewer cleaning
- Video inspection of drain and sewer lines
- Bathroom sink and tub drains
- Clogged toilets
- Kitchen sink drains
- Garbage disposals
- Slow drains/standing water
- Main sewer line cleaning
- Broken or frozen pipes or drains
- Repair or reconstruction
- Upfront pricing
- 24/7 emergency plumbing service
Armstrong Recommends the Environmentally Green Drain Cleaning Product: Bio-Clean
Armstrong plumbers use and recommend Bio-Clean® drain cleaning products. Bio-Clean® is a blend of bacteria and enzymes. The bacteria are natural, not genetically-engineered. The enzyme concentration is the most powerful on the market.
Preventing Future Blockages
- Monitor your drains–check your drains regularly to keep minor blockages from getting worse.
- Dispose of waste correctly–never flush face wipes or feminine products; these are likely to block your drains.
- Keep drains clear of plants and fibrous matter–drains guards can help prevent matter from falling into the drain and causing blockages.
- Rinse dishes before loading your dishwasher–any excess food can build up and cause a blockage.
Call the Plumbers at Armstrong
Armstrong plumbers are highly trained and experienced with servicing all major plumbing issues. Give us a call today if your clogged pipes or drains persist. We’ll be able to diagnose and repair your clog in no time.