What Are the Most Common Problems with Water Heaters?
A cold shower in Lubbock during the summer sounds a little inviting. Relief from the heat would be welcomed. No hot water in the middle of winter, though, not so much. Dealing with a malfunctioning water heater or one that is out of commission is low on the fun things to do list. Knowing what could go wrong with your water heater can help you prepare for the worst, so you will not have to be concerned with a lack of hot water. If you need a water heater repair, Armstrong Plumbing, Air & Electric is the only call you need to make for a professional plumber in the Lubbock area.
Different Types of Water Heaters & Their Issues
Water heater problems may differ between the two types of water heaters, whether storage tank water heaters or tankless.
Aside from their higher installation costs, some of the most common instigators of tankless water heater repairs can be:
- Mineral build-up inside the unit, regardless of your water source.
- Inability to keep up with demand. — Adding a 2nd unit can help.
- Blockages or leaks in the air vent due to a puncture or even rodents or birds.
- Ignition failure. — Could be a gas supply issue or a mechanical problem.
Storage tank water heaters have their own challenges, such as:
- Mineral build-up inside the tank. — Like the tankless, this can occur regardless of your water source.
- Water leaking from the tank.
Some water heater issues can occur regardless of the type you have.
- Water is not hot enough. — This could mean an element needs to be replaced.
- Water is too hot. — The thermostat may be set too high.
- Discolored water. — There is likely corrosion somewhere in the unit or the hot water supply lines.
- Noises such as popping or cracking. — This is a sign that sediment has built up in the unit and it should be flushed by a professional plumber.
- An odd odor like rotten eggs. — If you have a storage tank heater, you may need to have the anode rod replaced. A more serious issue could be a gas leak if you have a gas water heater of any type.
Call Armstrong For Your Water Heater Repair Today
Hot water is more than a comfort issue. To maintain the general health of the home’s occupants, a reliable hot water supply is needed for washing dishes and good hygiene. For any water heater repairs or a replacement, call Armstrong today. One of our highly trained plumbers is ready to help.