As a homeowner, there are few things worse than walking into your bathroom and seeing water pouring out of the toilet. As we all know, water is the great destroyer; if a toilet leak is not stopped and repaired right away, significant damage may occur to your property. Armstrong Plumbing, Air & Electric has answered the call for plumbing emergencies in the Lubbock area for nearly nine decades, so we can handle any toilet leaks we encounter. So, let’s take a look into what causes water to spray from your toilet and what you can do to prevent it.
TOILET TANK TROUBLE
Here are the most likely culprits if your toilet is experiencing issues and leaking water:
- Overfilling. The toilet tank may be overflowing due to a faulty float mechanism inside the tank, which needs replacing from time to time. This can cause water to overflow from the top of the tank or it may spray from the bowl when too much water hits it at flushing.
- Water line hookups. Another possible source of a toilet tank leak is where the incoming water lines connect to the tank. Inspect them and make sure the connections are tight and sealed.
- Faulty fill valve. The standard toilet tank filling process involves a fill valve dispersing water down the standpipe and into the bowl and toilet trap. When this system malfunctions, it can cause water to leak out of the tank.
- Cracks. Though uncommon, a toilet tank can crack and of course, this will cause a leak.
- Seals. A standard toilet consists of six seals, any one of which can cause problems if it fails. The largest seal is located between the tank and bowl and can lead to a serious leak if it is broken or cracked. To fix this problem, the tank must be drained, removed and flipped upside down to remove and replace the seal.
One thing we know for sure is that regular plumbing maintenance can help detect and prevent potential plumbing issues before they become plumbing emergencies. We offer our Armstrong Service Agreement Plan (ASAP) to our customers as a convenient, trustworthy solution to regular plumbing maintenance. Prestige and Royale level ASAP membership includes annual plumbing inspections and discounts on parts and labor. Of course, we also offer complete A to Z plumbing services and are always on-call for your plumbing emergencies. Better Call Armstrong if you need a Lubbock area plumber!