No doubt about it, your air conditioner is working hard right now. It’s a tough task keeping homes and businesses cool during the sweltering summer months in the Lubbock area. Fortunately, air conditioners are built to take the punishment. They should give years and possibly even decades of reliable service, but here’s the thing: they require regular maintenance and proper usage to extend their lifespan and increase their efficiency. Armstrong Plumbing, Air & Electric has helped keep Lubbock cool for more than 80 years and we know what it takes to keep your air conditioner in tip-top shape. In recognition of Air Conditioner Appreciation Days (July 3-August 15), here are some handy tips from us to you!
AIR CONDITIONER MAINTENANCE
The most important thing you can do to ensure that your AC is running the way it should and can meet the challenges of a West Texas summer is to schedule regular maintenance. This should be done at least once per year, and sometimes twice per year in hot climates. This maintenance should include a thorough inspection and cleaning of the interior elements of the unit and a tune-up/adjustment for all parts not operating correctly. Your friends at Armstrong stand ready to take care of this for you, so call us today to schedule.
AIR CONDITIONER EFFICIENCY
In the meantime, here are some tips for increasing your air conditioner’s efficiency:
- Change your AC filters. This is so important, it bears repeating: change your AC filters regularly. This is the first line of defense for your system in its battle to reduce dirt buildup and promote efficient operation.
- Turn up the thermostat. Setting it 5-10 degrees warmer than normal could save you up to 10 percent on your energy bills. A programmable thermostat can help you set it higher when you are away and maintain a consistent cooling schedule.
- Keep vents clear. Boxes, toys, furniture etc. can block and cover vents, making your system work harder.
- Close window coverings. Curtains, drapes and blinds should be drawn during the day, especially those covering west-facing windows.
- Inspect ductwork. Studies show as much as 10-15 percent of air that is moved through ductwork may be leaking out. Have your ductwork inspected/cleaned by HVAC professionals.
- Keep the area around the outdoor unit clear. Debris, dust, etc. that gathers around your outdoor unit can clog the evaporator coils and affect your unit’s operation and efficiency.
LUBBOCK, TEXAS AC PROS
Regular, preventative maintenance can extend the lifespan of your system and make sure it keeps you and your family cool during the hot summer months. A great way to keep that maintenance scheduled and on-time is by signing up for the Armstrong Service Agreement Plan (ASAP). Membership in ASAP includes two yearly inspections, standard filter changes at each one, priority service and other benefits, including discounts on part and labor. Better Call Armstrong today and make sure your AC is taken care of! And please keep in touch with us on social media, friends!